Erskine Proposed ByLaws Changes

For your information, below is a copy of the ByLaws changes on the table right now at Erskine College. Text marked as strike-through are to be removed, and underlined items are to be added. To make comments directly to the ByLaws Committee, visit www.erskine.edu/bylaws. The ByLaws Committee desires and welcomes all comments.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW/DOWNLOAD THE PDF

Facebook Twitter Email Plusone Linkedin Pintrest

Filed Under: eMail Updates

RSSComments (10)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

1. Don Yancey says:

Read the document and it seems that the changes only make it a better document. The board was too large, I think, and it needs to be smaller. I do think the time may have come to consider separating the two institutions — college and seminary — with a governing board for each. At the risk of heresy, it MAY also be the time to consider relocating the seminary to a more metropolitan location — Columbia, SC, for instance! Just thinking…

2. Andrew Putnam says:

The Bylaws Committee welcomes your comments at http://www.erskine.edu/bylaws/

3. Tom Roper says:

How did “Associate” become “Association” (page 2, lines 14 & 15)?

4. Dear Mr. Roper,

I’m sure that “Association” was a typo.

There are other issues in the document that are troubling.

Regards,

Chuck Wilson
    Editor, ARPTalk

5. Will Anderson says:

Andy, is it possible to view the comments that are submitted to the Bylaws committee?

6. Van Watts says:

My greatest concern is with the changes to Art.6. If the ARP General Synod is considered an “external organization or body,” (which I’m sure it is, at least in the eyes of the law) then there is nothing preventing the Board from interpreting the Church as exerting “undue influence” on the Board. This document seems like it may make matters worse, rather than better.

7. William Anderson says:

Dear Mr. Watts (or Van Watts),

I share your concern as well regarding the General Synod being viewed by the Board as being an “external organization or body” which would exert “undue influcence.” How does one become a Board member? Through the General Synod of course. In fact one of their duties is to “make an annual report to the General Synod.” Why bother doing that if the General Synod has no meaningful connection to the Board? I agree that the Board needs to be careful about undue influence from external organizations or bodies, but the General Synod of the ARP Church is not one of them. I urge you to keep all our Board members in your prayers.

In Christ,
    Will Anderson

8. Ralph Smith says:

I read Presbyterian happenings such as these with great interest. However, it is sad to see that ‘gaming’ continues in the ARP synod. It is sad to see that the ARPS seems destined to only toy with Biblical and confessional fidelity rather than unite and envision something special.

BTW: Does it not bother ARP churchmen that your moderator- elect seems to pump Erskine rather than the church he (should have) vowed to defend. You folks represent such conflicts of interest!

Mr. Wilson: Like anyone, you have your biases. There is no such thing as a neutral position in these conficts. Why do you continue to stir the proverbial pot? Are there not other ARPs willing to challenge the dysfunctionality of your Synod/colleg/and liberal seminary?

9. Dear Mr. Smith,

You write: “Mr. Wilson: Like anyone, you have your biases. There is no such thing as a neutral position in these conficts [sic]. Why do you continue to stir the proverbial pot? Are there not other ARPs willing to challenge the dysfunctionality of your Synod/colleg[sic]/and liberal seminary?”

Thanks you for your comments. Particularly, thank you for the comment above. Sometimes I feel like Elijah or Jeremiah.

When I get blue, I read the story of Elijah. I like the part where God informs Elijah that there were 7,000 who had not bowed the knee to Baal. Then I remember that there is a multitude in the ARP Church who have not bowed the knee to the Erskine Baal. I also like the outcome of the account.

You ask: “Why do you continue to stir the proverbial pot?”

Years ago, Vance Havner was asked why he continued to stay in the Southern Baptist Convention and be so critical of the SBC. He answered that no one knew them better than he did and no could “skin’um” better than he could. I’m not a Baptist, but I am a Havnerite. I feel that God has called me to be a prophetic voice in the ARP Church. If others will not speak out, I will.

Thank you for those two questions. You are the first one to ask me those questions publicly.

BTW, a goodly number of the “have not bowed the knee to Baal” ARPs have and are speaking out – some on this site and other sites. I do not stand alone – just noisily.

As far as your question regarding Mr. Putnan, I will leave that for Mr. Putnan and “ARP churchmen” to answer.

Obviously, you’re not an ARP. I’m delighted that you have joined our conversation. Outsiders often see us better than we see ourselves. I would say that your vision is very good!

Since I don’t know you, would you mind giving us a little information about yourself? I am assuming that you are in the family of evangelical Christians who make up the tribe of the Presbyterians and Reformed.

Regards,

Chuck Wilson
    Editor, ARPTalk

10. Ralph Smith says:

Dear Mr. Wilson,

You asked of my idenity. I am PCA–a numerically growing denomination throughout the USA. We have many problems in our denomination. NEvertheless we have strong leaders. As a whole we are concerned with evangelism, relevant but biblical and historical theology, and christian education. We have no love affair with the PCUSA or the niavity of the older generation that the (now defunct)PCUS is at all relevant, biblical, or reformed!!!!! My several ARP connections loathe the sinful (inbred) politics of a dying denomination BUT sincerely pray and yearn for a future where men stand for truth, biblical morality (i.e., Biblical eldership/pastoral integrity) and apply their historic presbyterian principles in the church courts.

I pray that you all see your way through a dire situation!